The Ultimate Guide to M12 90 Degree ConnectorShine Industry
What Is M12 90 Degree Connector ?
M12 90 degree connector is also called right angle M12 connector , it’s M12 connector that the mating interface and the cable direction have 90 degree angle, for right angle PCB M12 connector socket , the the solder surface and the mating interface have 90 degree angle.
As we can see from the above picture , the M12 90 degree connector could be overmolded right angle M12 connector , metal or plastic cable assembly right angle M12 connector , PCB right angle M12 connector socket.
Why need to use M12 90 degree connector ?
Compared with the M12 90 degree connector, the M12 straight connector is more widely used. Under what circumstances should the right angle M12 90 degree connector be used?
- The space is too small to install the M12 straight connector, or if the M12 straight connector is installed, it will cause excessive bending of the cable and reduce the reliability of the connector. In this situation, the M12 90 degree connector is much better choice.
- There will be many different cables in the automation system. If the wiring is not standardized, it will cause a waste of space and may even cause unnecessary wear and tear of the cables. M12 90 degree connector can help more reasonable wiring.
How many right angle M12 connectors are there?
Sorted by different classification methods, the 90 degree M12 connector has different types. According to the material of the plug, there are metal assembly M12 90 degree connector, plastic assembly M12 90 degree connector , according to the code, there are A coded right angle M12 connector , D coded right angle M12 connector , divided by plug and socket, there are 90 degree M12 connector plug, 90 degree M12 connector socket.
Overmoulded M12 90 degree connector plug
The molded M12 right angle connector is mainly composed of three parts: cable, insulator, and shell. The insulator integrates the male or female pins according to different coding standards through the injection molding process, and then welds the conductor of the cable to the end of the male/female pin. Finally, the cable and the insulator are overmolded by the injection molding process to achieve a high level of protection.
The advantages of overmolded M12 right angle connectors are that the production speed is fast, the efficiency is high, the operation can be automated, different shapes, different sizes, and the product size is accurate, suitable for mass production.
At a certain temperature, the completely molten plastic material is stirred by a screw, injected into the mold cavity with high pressure, and cooled and solidified to obtain a molded product.
The injection molding process of plastic parts mainly includes 6 stages such as clamping – filling – (gas-assisted, water-assisted) pressure holding – cooling – mold opening – demoulding.
The shell of the M12 90 degree connector is made of PA(which also called Nylon), which has good mechanical properties, heat resistance, wear resistance, chemical resistance and self-lubrication, and has a low coefficient of friction, a certain flame retardancy, and easy processing. It has been widely used in waterproof connector shells.
Main features of moulded M12 right angle connector
- Moulded M12 90 degree connector have different code type, could be A coded , B coded , C coded , D coded , X coded , Y coded , S coded , T coded , K coded , M coded , L coded .
- 90 degree M12 right angle connector could be male or female plug
- The overmoulded M12 right angle connector can be A code 2 3 4 5 6 8 12 17 pin , B code 5 pin , D code 4 pin , X code 8 pin , S code 2 pin , 2+PE , 3+PE , T code 2 pin , 2+PE , 3+PE , K code 2 pin , 2+PE , 3+PE , 4+PE , L code 2 pin , 2+PE , 3 pin , 3+PE , 4 pin , 4+PE , M code 2 pin , 2+PE , 3+PE , 4+PE , 5+PE for option.
- The right angle M12 90 degree connector could be one end M12 connector or both end M12 connector , each end could be male or female , straight or angled plug.
- Cable length of the right angle M12 connector could be customized.
- The cable material of the M12 right angle connector could be PVC and PUR, if or harsh environment, PUR have better performance.
- The 90 degree M12 connector overmoulded have shielded type and unshielded type , unshielded normally used for power connection and shielded M12 connector normally for signal/data connection.
- The right angle M12 90 degree connector is compatible with other brands connector that’s built with same standard and code type.
Cable assembly M12 right angle connector 90 degree
Cable assembly M12 right angle connector is also called field M12 right angle connector , engineer could install cable to the assembly M12 connector in the field, in small batch automation applications or maintenance work, assembly M12 90 degree connector has obvious advantages, and can complete installation and maintenance work conveniently and quickly. But because of the specialized nature of the work of installing cables, this work requires skilled engineers to avoid the risks of poor connections.
Sorted by materials of the shell, the 90 degree M12 connector have metal type and plastic type, sorted by the cable conductor termination, it can be screw type, solder type, and crimp type, it can also be sorted by male or female, code type and other methods, here we sort it by termination method.
Screw termination right angle M12 90 degree connector
This 90 degree M12 connector is made of PA shell with metal locking nut, the cable connect to the connector by screw, don’t need special tools. Main features of the screw type right angle M12 connector as following:
- This plastic assembly M12 right angle connector only have A code 2 core , 3 core , 4 core , 5 core , 6 core , 8 core , don’t have other code type and pin option.
- Field assembly male or female M12 90 degree connector for option
- With cable locking nut PG7(4-6mm) or PG9(6-8mm) for different size cable.
- PA shell material
This metal assembly right angle M12 90 degree connector is made of metal shell, could support A coded 2 3 4 5 6 8 pin , D coded 4 pin and B coded 5 pin.
Solder termination 90 degree M12 right angle connector
This solder assembly M12 90 degree connector right angled connect to the cable conductor by soldering, the welding will need special welding equipment, as the pins are very close to each other due to limited space, especially the 12 pin and 17 pin M12 connector.Welding is the most popular and reliable connection method, but if the operation is not professional, there may be false welding, and there is also the possibility of desoldering where the solder joints are connected.
Main features of the M12 right angle connector solder type as following:
- A code M12 right angle connector : 2 pin , 3 pin , 4 pin , 5 pin , 6 pin , 8 pin , 12 pin , 17 pin
- B code M12 90 degree connector : 5 pin
- D code 90 degree M12 right angle connector : 4 pin
- Male or female M12 90 degree plug available
- Support cable OD : 4-8mm
- Shell material : Zinc die-cast nickel-plated
X code 8 pin crimp right angle M12 90 degree connector
The X coded 8 pin M12 right angle connector is mainly use for industrial ethernet application, made of Zinc die-cast nickel-plated shell, most right angle M12 plug is male. The M12 right angled connector is crimp type, customers need to use crimp tool to connect the cable conductor to the connector pin, support cable OD bellow 8.5mm, conductor size 0.14-0.25mm²， 26-24AWG. Advantage of the crimp M12 right angle connector as following:
- Compared to soldering, crimping cable connections has better stability, and the crimping tool creates an airtight seal between the cable and the connector, preventing moisture, dust, and providing better protection.
- The crimp M12 right angle connector saves time in mass installation, is easy to operate, and has a lower defect rate.
- It has better electrical connection performance, reduces contact resistance and improves reliability.
PCB mount right angle M12 90 degree connector socket
The PCB mount 90 degree M12 right angle connector socket could be mounted to the PCB, normally it’s only back mounted as after soldered to the PCB, it’s impossible to install the right angle M12 socket to the panel. The PCB need to have hole with pad to solder the PCB M12 right angle connector socket , the connector is compatible with other big brand such Binder , Phoenix , Murr , and others that produced with same standard. If the customer don’t have drawing of the PCB, make sure to have the PCB drawing from the supplier .
Right angle M12 90 degree connector socket main features as following:
- A code 2 3 4 5 6 8 12 pin right angle M12 connector
- B code 5 pin M12 90 degree connector socket
- D code 4 pin M12 right angle socket connector
- X code 8 pin right angle M12 90 degree connector socket (mainly female)
- Shell material : Zinc die-cast nickel-plated
Except the above products, the 90 degree M12 right angle connector can also be M12 adapter or other type M12 connectors, welcome to contact us if we can help.
Leave a Reply